Betsy La Honta ––
Three times the fun
Enjoy three different looks from the same bag! With clever construction, movable straps, and a tuck-away top panel, the choice is yours. Wear it as a large carryall, a mid-sized drawstring bag, or a sleeker, smaller tote. Zip up your phone or keys in the secure outside pocket and organize other essentials in interior compartments. With the look and durability of a leather bag, this pattern sews up like a dream in kraft-tex and cotton fabric. Wear it your way.
• Roomy carryall, drawstring bag, and sleek tote—all in one!
• No patterns to trace! Simple-to-cut squares, rectangles, and strips
• Substitute kraft-tex and cotton fabric for upholstery leather
Finished bag: 12˝ wide × 17˝ high × 5˝ deep
Yardage is based on 42˝-wide fabric. Allow extra fabric for directional prints.
- kraft-tex: 1 roll (19˝ • 11/2 yards) for bottom panel, edge finishing strips, straps, and D-ring anchors
- Main fabric (A): 2/3 yard for top panel, middle panel, and outer zipper pocket
- Contrasting fabric (B): 3/4 yard for inside pocket, straps, and D-ring anchors
- Lining: 5/8 yard
- Interfacing:11/2 yards of 20˝-wide medium-weight stiff fusible interfacing for top and middle panels and straps (I used Pellon 808 Craft-Fuse.)
- 11/2 yards of 20˝-wide lightweight flexible fusible interfacing for pockets and lining (I used Pellon Shape-Flex.)
- Fusible web: 2 strips 1/4˝ • 7˝ of fusible web (or fabric glue) to hold zipper before stitching
- Zipper: 7˝ long (a longer nylon zipper can be trimmed to size)
- D-rings: 8 (to fit a 1˝-wide strap)
- Swivel/snap hooks: 4
- Cording: 1 piece 60˝ long
- Optional: 2–4 cord locks / drawstring toggles (or see Optional Cord Locks, page 18, to make your own)
This pattern was designed using BASIC kraft-tex, but can be made using VINTAGE or DESIGNER kraft-tex with a few simple modifications.
|Related Blog Posts|
The link will open in a new tab or window.