June 14, 2021
Position: Acquisitions Editor
C&T Publishing is the leading independent publisher focusing on how-to craft and creativity books. We are seeking an Acquisitions Editor with a proven acquisitions record with non-fiction books to join our small editorial team. This is the perfect position for candidates with a passion for crafts and who understand the visual and narrative needs of successful how-to books. The Acquisitions Editor will acquire and edit approximately 12 to 15 books per year and work within all of our imprints.
The salary for the position is $55,000 annually, plus medical, vision and dental plans, 401K, sick days, holidays, and vacation days, the ability to work remotely, and a friendly, team-oriented culture.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Note that applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Reports to: Senior Editor
- Identifying trends and great stories, and recruiting authors and creatives
- Evaluating book proposals and building the commercial and cultural cases for their acquisition
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with authors, agents, and foreign publishers; attracting new talent as well as commissioning book projects independently
- Engaging and partnering with authors to fully realize their vision, collaborating throughout the acquisition, editing, and production processes;
- Managing production schedules
- Developing and editing the manuscript, collaborating with designers, photographers, illustrators, technical editors, and production teams
- Working constructively with the marketing department in building author-specific promotional plans.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- College degree and minimum 5 years’ relevant editorial experience
- Direct experience taking multiple concurrent projects from conception to completion
- Editorial experience working on complex, full-color books or other content-rich media spaces
- Ability to work independently and set priorities under pressure, handling multiple jobs simultaneously
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Optimistic and innovative outlook toward publishing.
- Knowledge of crafts including any of the following is a plus: sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet, embroidery, cosplay, leatherwork, jewelry making
- Familiarity with diversity issues
- Experience with Google Workspace, Adobe Creative Cloud (most importantly InDesign), and a Macintosh work environment.
Knowledge and skills:
- Willing and able to contribute ideas and solutions to every project
- Effective time management skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility to roll with changing priorities and shifting/tight deadlines is a must.
- Sense of humor
- Knowing how and when to ask the right questions.
C&T Publishing is an equal opportunity employer and we value the wealth of perspectives that diversity brings to our organization.
Learn more about C&T Publishing