Primitive Star Thimble Keep Class Plan
Make an easy and useful container for small sewing items such as thimbles or needles. No sewing machine is required, as this project is perfect for hand sewists of any skill level. Learn wool appliqué and embroidery, along with a simple whipstitch. Students will be able to make and take this project home.
Single session of 1 hour: Precut some of the templates and wool appliqués ahead of time. Be well prepared and have knowledge of the hand stitches that are used.
Single session of 2–3 hours: Participants will have plenty of time to create the entire project from start to finish, with time to sew and chat.
Class Supply List:
- Required text: Robin Vizzone’s Peculiar Primitives—A Collection of Eclectic Projects (reference pp. 74–77)
- Cotton batting*
- Clear Quilter’s Template Plastic*
- Frixion pen
- Tacky glue
- Freezer paper
- Roxanne Glue-Baste-It
- Fray Check
- Needle and thread*
- Hand-dyed wool*
*per project requirements
- Ironing stationsovel
- Small cups of glue & disposable applicators (or popsicle sticks)
- Extra scissors, pens, and freezer paper would be helpful
Class Agenda (1-Hour Session):
1. Have a premade model/s to display.
2. Precut plastic templates. *per participant
3. Precut batting strips. *
4. Precut wool appliqués.*
5. Precut fabric strips.*
6. Precut each lining petal.*
7. Dispense glue into cups.*
*for each participant
1. Participants will glue templates (per project instructions) to precut batting.
2. Move on to fabric portion of the project while glue is drying.
3. Hand appliqué the wool and complete the batting portion (first 30 minutes of class).
4. Last 30 minutes of class is spent assembling the project, per required text instructions.
Class Agenda (2–3 Hour Session):
1. Have a premade model/s to display
2. Set up classroom work areas with glue.
3. Set up ironing stations.
Follow the project steps and instructions per the required text.