By Holly Knott & Diane Knott
Simple Elegance – Simple Techniques!
From Quilted Garden Delights
Make a quick and easy appliquéd quilt that looks like an elegant painting! You'll learn how to choose fabrics, use fusibles, and how to appliqué and quilt in one easy step, while you make this elegant wall hanging that looks like a painting made with fabric!
Approximate class time:
One 4-6 hour session
What each student will get:
You'll leave the class with your original wall quilt just about completed, and the knowledge you need to finish any other project from Quilted Garden Delights.
- Required text: Quilted Garden Delights by Holly Knott & Diane Knott
- Sewing machine
- Walking foot
- Small light box or window for tracing
- Thread for piecing
- Thread for appliqué and quilting (you can choose colors that match or contrast with your fabrics)
- Rotary cutter
- Large cutting mat
- Paper-backed fusible web
- (Optional) appliqué pressing sheet or nonstick pressing sheet
- Fabric for quilt top and backing. See page 6 for help in choosing fabrics, and page 22 for a detailed fabric and cutting list for the Simple Elegance project.
Make a sample of the project "Elegance" on pages 21-24 of Quilted Garden Delights.
During the class:
Following the instructions in Quilted Garden Delights, pages 21-24, show your students how to create a Simple Elegance wall hanging:
- Fabric selection, page 6.
- Fussy cutting, page 7.
- Background and border building, pages 8-9.
- How to trace and label pattern pieces on fusible web, pages 9-10.
- Laying out the pieces, page 11.
- Cutting the batting and backing, page 11.
- Appliquéing and quilting in one step with a variety of stitch choices, pages 11-14.
- Binding technique, pages 14-15.
- Labeling and hanging methods, pages 15-16.