The fabric arrived today so I can start on this beautiful elephant quilt. I haven't whether to use the girl or the boy with the elephant so perhaps the elephant will have both. I photocopied the pattern, cut out the pieces so that sewing the fabric together will be easier having the full size uncut original to follow.
Jennifer Sampou ––
Stitch a scrap-friendly quilt and pillow inspired by Jennifer Sampou’s travels to Thailand.
The best-selling fabric designer pairs paper-pieced and appliquéd motifs with a background of easy-to-sew strips. Gender-neutral and customizable, this artistically modern design is a definite showpiece. The full-size pattern includes complete instructions to make a quilt and a matching pillow. Proceeds from the sale of this pattern will be donated to Elephant Nature Park in Thailand, whose mission is to provide a rescue and rehabilitation center for elephants.
• Unique, gender-neutral design with full-size patterns
• Soft background with a splash of vibrant color
• Paper-pieced, appliquéd elephant and person motifs
MATERIALS FOR QUILT:
Yardage is based on 42˝-wide fabric.
- Colorful fabric scraps (for appliqué): 30–40 pieces of fabric, at least 5˝ × 8˝ each (I used my Studio Stash yarn dyes, Kona solids, and a few simple prints from my Color:FULL collection. Because this quilt design was inspired by an experience I had in Thailand, I also added a few Thai silks I brought home.)
- Light- to medium-value neutrals (for background): 1/8–1/2 yard each of 11 different fabrics, to total approximately 31/2 yards (I used 4 different prints, 3 yarn dyes, and 4 different whites / light solids.)
- Heavy twine: 8 pieces 7˝ long for tail
- Tracing paper or foundation paper: (I like Carol Doak’s Foundation Paper for this project.)
- Lightweight fusible interfacing: 1/4 yard (I used Wonder-Under.)
- School glue stick
- Binding: 3/8 yard
- Backing: 33/8 yards
- Batting: 58˝ × 64˝ (I used lightweight 100% cotton batting.)
16p + pattern sheet, color
|Related Blog Posts|
The link will open in a new tab or window.
Customers Also Viewed
Jennifer Sampou –– Twinkle, twinkle, giant star!Let your favorite fabrics take center stage on this trendy, one-block raw-edge appliqué quilt. Best-selling fabric...MSRP:Was:Now: $7.99