2020 is the year of kraft-tex! What is kraft-tex, you ask? kraft-tex is a rugged vegan paper that looks, feels, and wears like leather, but sews, cuts, and washes just like fabric.
Each month this year, we will be featuring a different kraft-tex color and project, and each color correlates with the birthstone for the month. In addition to our own projects, follow along to see kraft-tex projects made by our talented and creative kraft-tex ambassadors. Read on to see their projects.
January's color is Crimson! We invite you to join the fun and make your own kraft-tex projects each month along with us. If you do create something with kraft-tex, please snap a photo of your creation and tag us on Instagram @ctpublishing.
The colors for 2020 are as follows:
October: Blue Iris
Carryall Tote Project
Materials and Supplies
- Heavyweight canvas or duck cloth: 5/8 yard
- kraft•tex: 5/8 yard
- Print fabric: 3/8 yard (If you are using quilting cotton, stabilize the fabric with a woven fusible interfacing, such as Shape-Flex.)
- Cotton webbing, 11/2 ̋ or 2 ̋ wide: 48 ̋
- 80/12 Sharp needle
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Cut 1 rectangle 18½˝ × 39˝
- Cut 1 rectangle 18½˝ × 20½
Cut 2 pieces 9 ¾˝ × 19˝ (stabilize with interfacing if fabric is lightweight)
Note: All seam allowances are 1/4 ̋ unless otherwise noted.
1. Using a decorative stitch or straight lines, sew a design on the piece of kraft•tex. This will become the bottom half of the bag.
2. Sew a print fabric piece to the kraft•tex, with right sides together, along the 19 ̋ side. This forms the side of the bag. Repeat, sewing the second fabric piece to the other 19 ̋ side of the kraft•tex.
3. Fold this bag piece in half crosswise, with right sides together and matching the seams. Sew the 2 side seams to form the exterior of the bag.
4. Pinch the bottom side of the bag into a triangle, matching the side seam to the bottom center crease. Measure 31/2" from the top point of this triangle. Draw a line and stitch across. Repeat on the other bottom side. Trim off the corner triangles, leaving a 1/4 ̋ seam allowance. Turn the bag right side out.
5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 using the canvas to make the interior of the bag, except leave the interior bag inside out.
6. Cut the webbing into 2 equal pieces for the handles. Place the ends of a strap on the top edge of the bag, 5 ̋ from each side seam and hanging on the outside of the bag. Secure the strap with several lines of stitching 1/4 ̋ from the edge. Repeat for the second strap on the other side.
7. Insert the bag exterior into the interior bag, with right sides together. Pin the top of the bag and sew across the top using a 1/2 ̋ seam allowance. Leave a 4 ̋ opening on a side of the bag for turning.
8. Turn the bag right side out through the opening. Press the top of the bag flat. Topstitch 1/4 ̋ from the edge all the way around the bag.
Along with kraft-tex, additional fabric is from Pop by Rashida Coleman for Ruby Star Society- Manufactured by Moda
* Please note these are the the Cutting instructions when using DESIGNER AND VINTAGE kraft-tex
Our kraft-tex ambassadors all created amazing projects using Crimson kraft-tex!
Find each project's post below:
Search #krafttexambassador on Instagram to see new creations each month.