A Pair of Pretty Pears
Make an exceptionally cute little quilt that can be used by itself or with the other Kitchen Quilts.
This small quilt project is perfect for any skill level.
Learn how to hand applique wool in class.
Each student has the opportunity to complete the applique on this small quilt as shown on page 59.
• 3 hours if students come to class with templates (pages 18-19) and placement overlay (page 22)
made, and background prepared (page 17).
• 6 hours that include template and placement overlay making, as well as background preparation
• Required text: Wool Applique the Piece O’ Cake Way
• Cotton or linen block background fabric: 1 square 10˝ x 10˝
• Appliqué fabrics: A variety of scraps of felted wool for the fruit
• An 8˝ x 8˝ square of Quilter’s Vinyl
• 1 sheet of Soft Fuse or similar fusible product
• Wool thread or perle cotton for applique
• An Essential Sandboard or a sheet of fine grain sandpaper
• 1 sheet of Essential Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets or 1 sheet of peel and stick, self-adhesive
• A Teflon, or non-stick, pressing sheet
Make it easy for students to take the class by using the attached pattern. Make 2 copies of the
pattern for each student. They will use one of the copies to make templates as described on pages
Set up common pressing stations.
Follow the instructions beginning on page 18 to demonstrate how to:
1. Make templates and the placement overlay
2. Prepare the background
3. Press fusible web to the wool
4. Trace and cut the wool applique shapes
5. Fuse and applique the shapes
6. When the appliqué is complete, press the blocks on the wrong side, and trim them to 8 1/2˝ x 8
7. Layer, baste, quilt, and bind as there is time in class.