by Wendy Williams
Birds on a Wire
This class is suitable for all skill levels including beginners as is a relatively small quilt that is achievable. Choosing alternative background fabrics will give the quilt a different look. Another variation would be to make the birds from a variety of coloured wool felt. It is helpful to have packs of fabrics with flowers and circles, for use in the centres of the flowers. Students will learn skills such as;
- basic methods of wool appliqué
- simple embroidery stitches
- needle turn appliqué
- combining fabric and wool in appliqué
- making simple 9 patch blocks
This class can be taught in 1 or 2 day sessions.
Class Supply List
Required: Wild Blooms & Colorful Creatures by Wendy Williams
See the materials list on page 22 of Wild Blooms & Colorful Creatures. Perfect circles' made from Mylar plastic are helpful. Try choosing alternative background fabrics for a different look.
- It is helpful for students to have a large table for designing the background.
- It is important for this quilt that the measurements are as stated so that the border works.
Follow the instructions on pages 22-25 to demonstrate how to:
- Appliqué flowers and leaves.
- Make the background.
- Make the nine-patch blocks.
- Assemble the quilt.