by Alex Anderson & Liz Aneloski
Super Simple Quilt Wall Hanging
This class is perfect for beginners to make their first quilt or for more advanced quilters who want to make a quick gift. Choose a wallhanging-size quilt from the three simple projects in Super Simple Quilts #1—all the quilts in the same book use the same supply list! Only simple, straight sewing is required. These simple quilts really showcase the six fabulous fabrics you will choose.
Note: The Materials and Cutting lists in the book include 3 quilt sizes: wall/crib, twin, and queen. If your students like the quilt they make in class, they can also make coordinating quilts in the larger sizes.
APPROXIMATE CLASS TIME:
For beginners (allows extra time for slower sewing and to teach basics):
- Two 3-hour sessions to create a finished or nearly finished quilt top (Twist and Turn requires a bit more piecing time).
- One more 3-hour class to learn the 3 layer-securing methods and 3 binding techniques.
For more experienced quilters (less time for basic instruction):
- One 3-hour class to create a finished or nearly finished quilt top (Twist and Turn requires a bit more piecing time).
WHAT EACH STUDENT WILL GET:
Each student should leave class with a finished or nearly finished quilt top. What a great accomplishment!
- Required text: Super Simple Quilts #1 with Alex Anderson & Liz Aneloski
- 6 different fabrics:
- 1 light: 1/2 yard
- 3 mediums: 1/2 yard each
- 2 darks: 5/8 yards each
- Basic rotary cutting and sewing supplies
Make a sample of the quilt to hang in the shop to help generate interest in the class and the book.
DURING THE CLASS:
- Go over the information in The Basics chapter (pages 4-11). For a beginning audience, demonstrate how to rotary cut. Give guidance for stitching, pinning, and pressing.
- Follow the project instructions for your chosen project.
- At the end of the session, go over the three layer-securing methods and three binding techniques.