Fold-Up Sewing Folio
By Aneela Hoey
Suitable for beginner to intermediate skill levels. The class will be a good introduction to sewing organizers that bring order to your sewing supplies. Learn to install zippers, sew with vinyl, and use interfacing to give structure to your projects. Students will take away a stylish fold-up organizer, which opens up to reveal multiple pockets, a pincushion, and a needle book—perfect for keeping all your sewing essentials in one place. Students will be learning a variety of sewing techniques that can be utilized for other projects. The project also makes a perfect gift for sewing friends. Project photos are on pp. 42 and 46–47.
One class (6 hours): Students would make all the components and sew up the folio.
Two classes (3 hours each): Students would make all the components in the first class. They would assemble and sew up the folio in the second class. This would allow students to catch up between classes at home.
Class Supply List:
Required text: Stitched Sewing Organizers
- 1 fat quarter of fabric for exterior (a directional print may require additional yardage)
- 1 fat quarter of fabric for lining
- 1 fat quarter of fabric for pincushion/pockets
- 3/8 yard of 20˝ wide woven fusible interfacing
- 1 piece 10˝x 20˝ of batting or fusible fleece (low loft)
- 1 piece 5˝x 10˝ of Premium Clear Vinyl (C&T Publishing)
- 1 piece 4˝x 5˝ of wool felt
- 2 zippers 7˝ long
- Small handful of stuffing
- Sewing machine with regular presser foot and zipper foot
- Regular and topstitch machine needles
- Thread and bobbin to match fabrics for sewing
- Cutting mat, 6˝x 24˝ ruler, and rotary cutter
- Old rotary blade for cutting vinyl
- Fabric scissors
- Binding clips
- Seam ripper
- Water-soluble pencil for marking
- Hand-sewing needle
- Pattern paper for making template
- Paper scissors
- Seam gauge
- Point turner and seam creaser
- Optional: Pellon EZ-Steam II Tape
- Optional: Pellon 805 Wonder-Under
- Optional: Dritz needle grabbers #161
- Optional: basting spray
Other sales opportunities:
This would be a good opportunity for students to stock up on materials for other projects in the book, such as:
- Pellon Shape-Flex woven fusible interfacing (SF101)
- Pellon Decor Bond
- C&T fast2fuse Heavy
- Pellon Peltex 71F
- Pellon Peltex 72F
- C&T Premium Clear Vinyl
Each student will need table space for sewing/cutting and access to an outlet for their sewing machine. A pressing station will be required for every three students.
Before the class, the teacher should read through the Stitched Organizer Basics chapter (pp. 9–24) for plenty of tips and techniques to include in the class.
Instructions for the Fold-Up Sewing Folio can be found on pp. 42–49
1. Cut the fabric and other material pieces.
2. Fuse the required fabric pieces.
3. Prepare the zippers.
4. Prepare the binding pieces.
5. Assemble the pockets, pincushion, and needle book.
6. Assemble the cover.
7. Assemble the interior.
8. Sew the folio together.
If splitting the class into two 3-hour classes: complete steps 1–6 in class 1 and steps 7–8 in class 2.