Square One: A simple, modern quilt
- This quilt would be perfect for a beginning quilting group, but could also be perfect for a modern class, with a higher skill level.
- This class will teach simple block construction, sashing, and an optional raw edge Honey Bun binding.
- Each student will complete a beautiful and unique quilt.
- Students will leave with a completed quilt top, a basic knowledge of how to quilt it on their machine (instructions included in the book), and a fabric/quilting addiction!
- 4 hour class if the student comes with a basic knowledge of piecing.
- Required text: Simplify with Camille Roskelley: Quilts for the Modern Home
- 1 Charm Pack or 42 5” x 5” Charm Squares
- 1 Honey Bun or 40 1-1/2” x WOF strips
- 1-3/4 yards neutral fabric at least 42” wide
- 3-1/3 yards for backing
- Batting- 60” x 68”
- Rotary Cutter, mat and ruler
- Thread for piecing and quilting
- Each student will need a separate cutting and pressing station as well as sewing station. Students will need their own sewing machine.
Class Outline - Refer to the book for page numbers as noted
- Cut your pieces in no time (pg 33)
- Assemble the simple blocks (pg 34)
- Sew the quilt top together using a neutral sashing (pg 35)
- Quilt and bind the quilt using the leftover 1-1/2” strips using a raw edge technique that adds texture and personality. Of course, a regular binding is optional. (pg 36)