From Diary in Stitches
By Minki Kim
In this class, confident beginners and above will learn how to draw with their sewing machines. Students can adapt their own designs, and with this technique, they can embellish anything with their charm. The biggest takeaway is that sewing machines can be used as drawing tools.
2 hours to finish a bookmark or a pincushion.
Class Supply List:
• Temporary marking pen such as a FriXion pen or an Air Erasable Marker from Clover
• Fusible web
• Open-toe appliqué foot
• 50-weight dark color thread
• Linen-cotton fabric or cream solid fabric
• School supply glue stick or fabric glue stick from Clover
• 5˝ scissors
• Sewing machine with knee lift (optional)
• An iron set to fuse fusible web
• A basketful of fabric scraps to use for embellishments
• Sample design printed out to transfer onto the fabric, for students who do not wish to use their own designs
- Cover basic techniques and supplies (p. 7).
- Sew the chosen illustration, either the sample design or the student’s own design (p. 11).
- Cover frequently asked questions that come up during the class (p. 14).
Check out my YouTube channel, Minki Kim Sewing Illustration, for free tutorials.