Pin & Share It!
What does every busy girl need in her sewing room? A deluxe pincushion, of course! This little project (p. 42) is perfect for beginners and experts alike, giving everyone the chance to walk away from your class with the satisfaction of a finished item. Class topics should cover basic piecing, quilting, and pillow construction. If time allows, you might even want to include a lesson in fabric auditions (p. 20-21) using prints available in your shop. This project makes a great gift, so it’s a wonderful class to hold any time a holiday is approaching!
This class can last 2-3 hours depending on the skill level of your students.
Class Supply List
- Required text: Sew Organized for the Busy Girl
- Fabric scraps for pocket patchwork
- 1/4 yard fabric each for pincushion body and pocket
- 1/8 yard batting for pocket
- 3” long piece of twill tape for loop
- Polyester stuffing for pincushion
- Coordinating thread
TIP: Save scraps and remnants from your cutting table to make ready-to-purchase kits for this class. If you like, make a deluxe kit that includes notions (clips, pins, and embroidery scissors) to go inside when the pincushion is finished.
Students will each need a sewing machine. Provide cutting and pressing stations in the classroom for everyone to use.
Follow the instructions on page 43 to demonstrate how to:
- 1. Sew a nine-patch block.
- 2. Sew and quilt the pocket.
- 3. Add the side loop.
- 4. Finish the pincushion.