by Patty Young
Casual Summer Days? - 18" Doll T-Shirt with knits
Doll clothes are so cute and easy to make and this T-shirt is no exception. Any beginner sewist can complete this project in no time, and learn how to attach a T-shirt neckband as well as create a unique and adorable gathered sleeve. This is a great beginner project for those who have never worked with knits before. Students will walk away with a completed T-shirt for their 18" doll similar to the one pictured on page 10 of MODKID® Summer Fun by Patty Young.
This project can be completed in a single 1-2 hour class depending on number of students and resources available.
Class Supply List
- Required text: MODKID® Summer Fun by Patty Young
- Pattern pieces A-D from pullout page P2.
- Fat quarters, 1/4 yard cuts or small scraps of two different coordinating knit fabrics
- 5 1/2" of 3/4"-wide sewable Velcro that they will cut in half to make it "skinny"
- 2" of 1/8"-wide elastic that they will cut in half
- Thread for piecing and hemming
- Paper scissors for cutting pattern pieces/fabric scissors
- Sewing pins. Patty's designer pins work perfect for this project
- Sergers or sewing machines set up to zigzag stitch
- Twin needle or a Coverstitch machine for hemming
- Pressing stations
- Cutting tables or other surface to make cutting out pattern pieces easier
Begin the class by following the instructions on page 10 to cut out all pattern pieces needed to complete the project.
Page 11 shows:
- How to sew up the Front Bodice
- Attach the Front Bodice to the Back Bodice at each shoulder
- Attach the Neck Band (no pattern piece)
- Prepare the Sleeve with the 1/8"-wide elastic
- Attach the gathered sleeve to the Bodice.
Page 12 shows:
- How to close up the side seams
- Hem the bottom of the T-shirt with either a cover stitch, twin needle, or zigzag stitch.
- Attach the Velcro to the Back Bodice
Pictures of finished garment examples are on page 12.