by Kristen Sutcliffe
This class is for beginning stitchers ages 10-15. The students will start from the very basic skills of separating strands of embroidery thread and threading a needle. They will then learn a few basic embroidery stitches that they will stitch on felt to make several finished hair clips.
This class will take approximately ninety minutes.
Class Supply List
- Required text: Fabric Paper Thread by Kristen Sutcliffe
- 3 - 5 colors of embroidery floss (Have students select their colors from your shop before the class begins.)
- Embroidery needle
- Thread scissors
- Two small pieces of felt (at least 6'' square) for each student. This can be either inexpensive craft felt, or a higher quality wool felt. One piece can be used for practice stitches.
- Blank snap clips, headbands, or other types of hair clips
- Hole reinforcement stickers (from an office supply store)
Students need only a chair and small, well-lit space at a table. Have 1 or 2 hot glue guns available for communal use.
- Demonstrate how to cut a proper length of embroidery thread, separate strands, and thread a needle.
- Using Fabric Paper Thread as a reference, demonstrate the basic stitches needed to make two different designs of hairclips.
- Have students practice a few types of stitches.
- Students stitch as many hair clip designs as they have time for.
- Supervise students to use hot glue guns to complete the project. (Or have a teacher or assistant do the gluing for students.)