Deborah's love of color, sewing, and textiles started when she was a young girl growing up in Sydney in the family textiles business, which specialized in hand dyeing laces and beautiful fabrics.
Deborah studied color and design at college before commencing work in the textile-printing industry, but her true passion was found later when she spent time at home with her young family and fell in love with quilting. Deborah started her own domestic machine-quilting business, quilting more than 600 quilts for clients. This developed her skills in both traditional and contemporary quilt design and has led her to teaching and sharing her passion for quiltmaking and mastering the sewing machine. Inspired by the river and natural bushland which surround her Sydney studio, Deborah makes unique quilts with the emphasis on color, quilting texture, and decorative stitch appliqué. Deborah designs quilts as beautiful pieces of textile decorative art to add to your home decor.
Teaching a holistic approach to each piece, Deborah guides you through every aspect from the design inspiration all the way to domestic machine quilting the project. Her passion for teaching others to use the beautiful features on their sewing machines shines through every book and class.
Some of Deborah’s highlights include:
- Multiple award-winning quilts including first, second and third place awards in Excellence in Domestic Machine Quilting Professional, Judges Choice awards, Machine Appliqué awards, and Best Contemporary Quilt awards.
- Accreditation as a Special Techniques Tutor through Quilt NSW.
- Ambassador for BERNINA Australia.
- Teaching since 2000 throughout Australia and New Zealand for symposiums, conventions, guilds, patchwork shops, Deborah Louie retreats and groups
- Self-publishing many skill-building books and patterns on domestic machine quilting and machine appliqué based on award-winning, original-design quilts.
- Producing online instructional classes for domestic machine quilting and machine appliqué, including “My Favorite BERNINA Features."
- Self-Publishing Glamorous Clams Bernina Special Edition book
- Columnist for Quilters Companion magazine for many years providing advice for domestic machine quilting and machine appliqué through written articles and highly popular instructional DVDs
Instagram: Deborah Louie
By this author: