by Wendi Gratz with Jo Gratz
Clyde the Curvy Monster
Kids can sew too! In this class they'll learn how to sew (and clip!) curves, how to embed arms and legs in seams, and how to use fusible adhesive to add eyes and teeth. They'll leave the class with a cuddle stuffed monster - made with their own hands! (Project is featured in chapter 7 of Creature Camp.)
This class works well as a stand-alone. The amount of time it takes will depend on the number of students and if they've ever used their machines before. Plan for 2-3 hours.
Class Supply List
Required: Creature Camp by Wendi Gratz and Jo Gratz
1/4 yard patterned fabric (can be fat or long)
scraps of fabric for arms and feet
scraps of white fabric for eyes and teeth
2 buttons (5/8" diameter) for eyes (can substitute circles of black felt or use fabric markers to make pupils)
4" black rickrack or ribbon for mouth
I also highly recommend a set of Turn It All tubes. Kids LOVE using these!
Funnels, Turn It All tubes and fabric markers (if used) can be shared.
All steps are detailed (with photos) on pages 76-77 of Creature Camp. Kids can see a fun variation on page 78.
1. Choose fabric (if your class includes shopping time). For this project they can go as wild as they like with fun prints.
2. Trace pattern cut out all fabric pieces.
3. Use fusible adhesive, rickrack and buttons/felt/fabric markers to add the faces.
4. Sew and stuff arms and legs.
5. Sew, stuff and finish their softies.