Charm School Class Plan
This class explores multiple methods to transform 5˝ squares into half-square triangles and the tricks to making them flawless. Students will make blocks for both Hoodwink and Charm Bracelet, quilts found in Vanessa Goertzen's Charm School—18 Quilts from 5˝ Squares book.
Skill level: Beginner to Intermediate
What students will learn:log
-Two easy methods of creating perfect half-square triangles from 5˝ squares
-Tricks to trimming HSTs by using a 4.5˝ Bloc Loc Ruler (a rotating cutting mat is also helpful)
-The Hoodwink quilt will also demonstrate the easy corner triangle method
Class Supply List:
- Required text: Charm School—18 Quilts from 5˝ Squares by Vanessa Goertzen
- 4.5˝ Bloc Loc Ruler
- Rotating cutting mat for trimming blocks
- Hoodwink quilt materials AND/OR Charm Bracelet quilt materials (make blocks of both)
This class would make a great 3-hour workshop, ideal for beginners.
Set up multiple cutting and pressing areas (steam irons recommended).
1. Explain how to make 4.5˝ half-square triangles using the method of drawing a diagonal line and sewing ¼˝ away from the marked line on both sides.
2. Demonstrate how to make 3˝ half-square triangles (or smaller) by sewing ¼˝ away from the edge around the perimeter and making cuts along the diagonals.
3. Show how to use the Bloc Loc Ruler to trim HSTs. The 4.5˝ Bloc Loc can be used to trim anything 4.5˝ or smaller. The rotating cutting mat is a useful tool here too.
4. Demonstrate the easy corner triangle method for adding triangles to the corners of HSTs.