by Trish Preston
Vintage Ice Skating Stocking
Create a unique and special keepsake for your holiday. This Vintage Ice Skate Stocking can be altered into a "Cowboy boot" by omitting the skate blade if rodeos are more your thing than the ice skating rink.
This project is perfect for the advanced beginner with a little extra patience. Learn how to use applique stitches on your machine to add dimension to the project. Each student will create a full size Christmas stocking ready to hang for the holidays as shown on page 99.
This class should take roughly 3 1/2 hours to complete from cut to finish for advanced beginners. Slightly faster with a more experienced student. It would work well as a stand alone single class or also as two part class.
Class Supply List
Required text: Because I Love You Sew by Trish Preston
- Sewing machine, scissors, and marking pen
- Decorative trimmings such as velvet ribbon, lace, buttons, etc.
- Polyester fiberfill for stuffing
- 1/2 yard for exterior (A nice solid flannel or textured fabric works well for the wintery feel of this project. The flannel is lovely to quilt on.)
- 1/4 yard cotton fabric for inner sock
- 1/4 yard cotton fabric for skate blade
- 1/4 yard of felt for boot sole
- 1/2 yard of heavy fusible fleece interfacing
- 2 fat quarters for cuff and boot appliques
TIP: This is a great project to present to customers as a kit. The vintage feel of the project lends itself well to using solid fabrics, linen, flannel or other textured fabrics. Having unique and beautiful lace trims or velvet ribbon to purchase by the spool as well as vintage like buttons would help your customers create a very special project.
Each student will need a sewing station and a cutting station (omit the cutting station if you are presenting project to students as a kit).
Since students will be fusing the interfacing to the boot, having several stations set up for pressing would be helpful to speed the class along with no waiting for their turn at the iron.
Follow instructions beginning on pages 98 - 103:
- Cut your stocking pattern pieces
- Applique pieces to front of boot
- Sew exterior stocking and inner sock together
- Create the cuff and attach
- Make the skate blade and attach to boot sole
- Put together the exterior stocking and inner sock