by Barbara Persing & Mary Hoover
In this class you'll learn everything you need to know about making beautiful strata quilts. Create stunning quilts with this deceivingly simple technique. When you have completed the class you will be on way to making all of the quilts in this book.
Approximate class time:
All day class. Students should knowledge of basic quiltmaking techniques.
What each student will get:
Students will take home a partially completed quilt top, plus all the knowledge needed to complete the quilt on their own time.
- Required text: StrataVarious Quilts by Barbara Persing and Mary Hoover
- Fat quarters:
- 15 yellow/orange fat quarters
- 5 green fat quarters
- 5 pink/purple fat quarters
- Inner border: 3/8 yards lime green fabric
- Outer border: 2 1/4 yards large print fabric
- Backing fabric: 4 1/2 yards
- Binding fabric: 3/4 yards
- Rulers: 6 1/2" square and 7 1/2" square
Familiarize yourself with sewing strata panels and practice cutting blocks. Make a sample strata and cut sample blocks. Also be sure to have extra rulers available for students who forget to bring theirs to class!
During the class:
Following the detailed instructions from StrataVarious Quilts:
- Review "Cutting the strips" on page 10.
- Have students cut all of their fat quarters following the directions on page 16.
- Review "Piecing" and "Pressing" on page 11.
- Have students sew at least three of the required twelve panels needed to complete the project.
- Review "Cutting Squares" on page 12.
- Continue with “Block Assembly” on pages 16 & 17.
- Lay out blocks following instructions in "Quilt Assembly" on page 18.
- Review and discuss "Quilting" on pages 58-61 and "Finishing up" on page 62.