As a momma bird gathers scraps to build her nest, this piece too is made from scraps! Creative Troupe member Jeanelle McCall has combined a little free-motion embroidery, hand embroidery and a photo transfer using TAP™ Transfer Artist Paper to complete this project. For fiber art and mixed media inspiration be sure to check out Jeanelle’s website here.
“Babies On The Way” TAP™ Project
Designed by Jeanelle McCall
- TAP™ Transfer Artist Paper
- Image of nest with eggs
- embroidery thread – off-white, pale blue, pale pink, dark brown
- free-motion thread for sewing machine – dark blue
- Fabric scraps:
- 8″ x 10″ off-white cotton
- 7.25″ x 5.5″ canvas (I used blue)
- 4″ x 6″ off white cotton
- 3.5″ x 5.5″ batting
- 3.5″ x 3.5″ off white linen
- small piece of fabric approx. 6.5″ x .75″ for the limb
- Although not necessary, I like to fray all the edges of the fabric I use for this project.
- Print image of nest with eggs on to a sheet of TAP,according to manufacturer’s instructions. Trim around and as close to the image as possible.
- Position the TAP “nest with egg” image on the 3.5″ x 3.5″ off white linen – centered and towards the bottom. You will need space above the image for the limb. Transfer the image according to the TAP instructions.
- Now the layering begins. Place your linen piece with the nest – centered and towards the bottom – on the white 4″ x 6″ piece of fabric. Layer these two pieces on the batting.
- Place your “limb” fabric in a slight arch above the nest and let the ends extend beyond your layered work. Hand stitch the limb in position with pale blue embroidery thread.
- With a sewing machine, free-motion stitch the momma bird to the layered work. Make sure her feet are resting on the limb. You may wish to sketch the bird lightly with a pencil on the fabric and use this as a guide for the stitching.
- Now layer your work, centered on the 7.25″ x 5.5″ (blue) canvas.
- Then layer all this over the final piece of 8″ x 10″ off-white cotton.
- With a simple running stitch, use the pale blue and pink embroidery thread to hand-embroider on the bird. Stitch highlights and shadows to enhance the TAP nest image with the pale pink and dark brown embroidery thread.
- French knots, straight lines and “x”‘s are embroidered with off-white thread to secure all the layers together.