by Allison Nicoll
Pretty Flower Pincushion
Make a gorgeous pincushion using machine applique.
This project is perfect for the beginner sewist right through to the advanced. Learn how to use paper backed fusible web and machine applique. Each student will complete a pincushion shown on page 49
2 hours if students are already familiar with the information in "The Basics" chapter
3 hours if you need to teach this with the class
Class Supply List
- Required text: Sew It! by Allison Nicoll
- 2 squares 5 x 5
- 5 x 5 square of fusible fleece
- 5 x 5 square of paper backed fusible web
- Assorted scraps for applique
- Polyfill or cotton stuffing
TIP: You could make a cute kit for the students in class, with different fabric combinations
Each student needs a sewing machine, set up common cutting and pressing stations. Be sure you have an applique mat to use when ironing so that no residue from the fusible webbing transfers to the iron plate.
Follow the instructions on pages 48 -50 to demonstrate how to:
- Trace the applique flower onto the fusible web
- How to fuse the shape to your pin cushion top and stitch around
- How to stitch the pincushion together
- How to stuff the pincushion and stitch the opening closed.