From Quilts du Jour by Marny Buck and Jill Guffy
Crudités Block pp.12-15
- Suitable for confident beginners, but intriguing to all levels
- Half-square triangles, strip sets, trimming to size
- Components can be combined in countless ways
- Complete four 8˝ blocks, suitable for a pillow
- Simple techniques with sophisticated results
2-3 hours, depending on skill level, to cut and complete four blocks
4-5 hours to complete four blocks, quilt pillow top (straight-line quilting with walking foot or free motion), finish knife-edge pillow
Class Supply List:
- Fabric for blocks: ¼ yard color and ⅓ yard background
- Quilts du Jour by Marny Buck and Jill Guffy
- Additional fabric and batting if completing pillow: ½ yard each
- Recommended rulers: 8 ½˝ square and 8 ½˝ x 24 ½˝
- Rotary cutter, mat
- Pins, marking pen or pencil, scissors
- Sewing machine
- Neutral thread for block construction
- Appropriate thread if quilting
- 16˝ pillow form
Individual workspaces, counter-height cutting table
- Follow the cutting instructions on page 14 for 8˝ blocks.
- Make the four blocks following the instructions on page 15.
- Assemble optional pillow top from four blocks.
- Refer to Pillow with Overlapped Back on page 10.
Note to shop owners and teachers:
Quilts du Jour offers a variety of class options. Instructions for six modern blocks could be taught individually (as above) or continued as a block of the month. They offer a skill progression through half-square triangles, strip piecing, value, negative space, layered cutting, and trimming oversized blocks. Specific directions are offered for using each block in a pillow and two different quilts. Or once the block(s) are completed, use the unique settings menu with its size and layout options to “make it your own.”