We're thrilled to have Abigail Long, author of Modern Prairie Sewing here to share a FREE pattern that she created for this gorgeous bag! Take it away, Abi!
Send a Little Message Bag
Finished flat measurements: 11” x 13 ¾” x 2 ½” handle 39 ½”
When I designed the Send a Little Message bag, I immediately thought of something playful and fun.I chose fabrics that would be just as playful as the message I was sending to all of you crafty folks. The strap is long enough to be worn as a cross body, but if you like your bags to be extra long (or if you’re a willowy type of girl and need more length), just add a few inches to the length of the strap measurement. This bag also sends a quirky message; it boasts of a nice big pocket on the front perfect for housing lots of fun things that need to be grabbed out in a flash. This bag is really quick to make and I hope you’ll be as stoked about that as I am! It’s also a great Christmas or birthday gift - especially if the recipient loves a beautiful handmade gift! Sew! What are you waiting for? Have fun and please share your success story with me on the
Modern Prairie Sewing Facebook page or via my email! xoxo Abi
Designed & made by Abigail A. Long, author of Modern Prairie Sewing: 20 Handmade Projects for You & Your Friends published by C&T Publishing (the awesomest publishing company EVER!), blogger at www.themodernprairiegirl.blogspot.com
**fabric (total yardage is 1 3/8 - 1 1/2 yards, depending on how wide your fabric is)
*contrasting or matching thread
I chose to show my bag in two different fabrics. I made my bag out of cotton quilting weight. But you can also use cotton velveteen, burlap, cotton home décor. Have fun with different combinations. Explore the possibilities!
Cut it Out!
2 main outside bag pieces & 2 main lining bag pieces - 12” x 15”
1 piece for strap - 6” x 40”
2 gusset pieces - 3 ½” x 42
1 outside pocket - 12” x 17”
1 flap - 9 ¼” x 13 ½”
Let’s Make It!
1. Pin and stitch gusset right sides together with main bag lining piece. Leave 3” gap in the middle of the bottom of the bag. Right sides together sew other main bag lining piece and sew it to the other side of the gusset, omitting the gap. Clip corners and set aside. Your lining bag is finished!
2. Fold outside pocket wrong sides together. Raw edges up, measure 4 ¾” from the bottom of the outside bag. Pin and sew along raw edge. Flip pocket up and press. Sew sides of pocket to main bag and then along the bottom of your pocket at ¼”. Repeat step 1 with the gusset for outside bag, omitting gap.
3. Sew flap right sides together along the sides, leaving the top. Clip corners and turn right side out. Poke corners out and press. Sew along both sides of flap at 1/8”. Place flap at the top bag of outside main bag. Pin and sew in place.
4. Sew strap right sides together along long side. Turn right side out and press. Topstitch along both long sides at 1/8”. Place each strap end at the top sides of outside bag. Pin and sew in place.
5. Put outside bag inside lining. Sew around the top at 5/8”. Trim off excess. Pull bag through 3” gap. Pin and sew gap closed.
6. Push lining inside outside bag. Topstitch at 1/8”.
What message are you going to send now?!
Enter to win a copy of and a Moda Fabric bundle by liking us on Facebook. For an additional entry, follow us on Instagram @ctpublishing and share a photo of a garment that you've made with #MPSGIVEAWAY. Open to US residents only. For more information, click here: a Rafflecopter giveaway