by Kelly McCants
Sewing Machine Cover
- Students will learn how to use bias tape and interfacing, and how to create their own pattern.
- Students be even more excited to sit down at their sewing machine after making this cover!
Class Supply List
The students taking this class will enjoy shopping in your shop for the materials needed for this project. Students will need to pick out four cotton prints. Picking fabrics is the best part, isn't it? The sewing machine cover will get them into your trimmings and interfacing sections too.
Required text: At Home with Modern June by Kelly McCants
2 coordinating 1/2 yard cuts of cotton fabric.
2 contrasting fat quarters of cotton fabric
1 1/2 yards of lightweight fusible interfacing.
1 packages of 1/2" double fold bias or 2 yards
2 yards of 1/2" grossgrain ribbon
Notions and Tools
Wide Clear Ruler
Rotary Cutter and Mat
Fabric pencils or tailors chalk
Iron and Ironing board
See pages 152 - 155 for full details:
- Walk students though creating a pattern for their own sewing machine.
- Show them how to properly adhere interfacing.
- Construct cover pieces.
- Teach them how to use bias tape. Cover the different methods to widen their experiences. See Tips and Tricks on pages 14 - 19 for more details. Trim out the cover.
- Now they see how easy and inexpensive this project is you can encourage them to make a few more for their friends. Send them out to shop for more fabric!!