Large Diamonds Runner
The Elegance of Overlapping Diamonds
From Amazingly Simple Triangle Star by Barbara H. Cline
Students in this Intermediate skill level class will enjoy seeing how one block can make so many designs. They will learn how to:
Easily make and cut from templates by cutting from strips of fabric.
How to piece one triangle block
Learn how to use a design wall
Students will leave with a table runner that is ready to be quilted.
- One 6 hour class or 2 three-hour classes. Two classes work best because students have homework to piece the 18 triangle blocks between first and second class. In the second class they can complete the table runner top. If you choose one 6-hour class they can piece three blocks in class and have time to piece the first two rows. They will know the technique but not a finished project.
Class Supply List
6" x 24" rotary ruler (good for cutting yardage into strips)
4” x 14” rotary ruler (good to use when cutting strips into pieces)
Rotary cutter and mat
Chalk pencil, roller, or removable marker for marking fabric
Scissors for clipping threads
Template plastic or Essential Self-Adhesive lamination Sheets from C&T Publishing.
Sandpaper dots (to keep the template from sliding on the fabric) or double-sided tape
Iron and ironing board
Best Press spray starch (the block layout in this quilt is triangles, so this is a wonderful time to introduce Best Press spray starch which will limit the diagonal edges from stretching)
TIP: By having strips cut before class it gives a jumpstart to the class.
Pre-cut before class:
3 strips 3 1/3” x wof
2 strips 4 1/4 x wof
1 strip 9”
2 strips 4 1/4”
3 strips 9” x wof
6 strips 1 1/4” x wof
5 strips 2 1/4” x wof
1. Study the layout and explain how the table runner is constructed with triangle blocks and point out the rows to the students.
2. Show them how to make templates. (Page 6)
3. From precut strips refer to the cutting chart on page 11.
4. Refer to The Triangle Block page 5 and learn the placement of each piece.
5. Make all triangle blocks in Make the Triangle Blocks step 2. (Page 12)
6. Assemble the Quilt. (Page 12)